Certificates of Origin
COVID-19 Update: The Chamber now offers ELECTRONIC Certificate of Origin approval. Please scroll below for more information.
The Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce (GVCC) has revised its policy on the issuance of Certificates of Origin effective immediately (Jan. 2020). These changes were prompted by recent lawsuits incurred by other U.S. Chambers that issued Certificates of Origin to exporters who misrepresented the actual origin of the materials. These cases resulted in fines, monetary settlements and associated liability insurance premiums that caused all Chambers to review existing policies.
The changes are as follows:
The Certificate of Origin must be filled out completely and notarized before being presented to the Chamber. You are responsible for having your C.O.O. notarized as needed. Not all countries of import necessitate a notarization.
An Indemnification Certificate signed by a company officer must be on file at the GVCC before a Certificate of Origin is issued. This document will be updated annually and when there is a change of signatory officer.
There will be a fee of $5 per stamp per Certificate of Origin for GVCC members and $75 per stamp per Certificate of Origin for non-members.
Submit Your C.O.O. Online
The Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce is now able to stamp Certificates of Origin electronically. Pricing will remain the same for certificates provided in-person and electronically at Chamber member reduced rates ($5 per stamp) and non-member pricing ($75 per stamp). We encourage frequent exporters to carry a credit with the Chamber to make the payment process easier. A a receipt per transaction will be emailed to the export organization within 24 hours.
It is up to the exporter to adhere to the country of importation's requirements for documentation (i.e. some countries may require notarization prior to chamber seal, an original embossed copy, an stamped invoice, etc.).
For Electronic Certificate of Origins:
1. Download and complete the Certificate of Origin form, available here.
2. Save as either a Word Document (.doc) or a PDF (.pdf) file.
3. Attach this form to an email addressed to YourChamber@VancouverUSA.com, subject line: Electronic COO. Be sure to include your organization's contact information (point of contact, phone number, email address, billing address) along with your preferred method of payment.
Once submitted, you should receive an email confirmation within 24 hours and a completed Certificate of Origin as approved. For questions, to schedule an in-person stamp, or to add credit to your account, contact us at 360.567.1052 or by email at YourChamber@VancouverUSA.com.
Please take the time to fill out an Indemnification Agreement, and return it to the Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce at your earliest convenience.
Please adhere to the following steps to ensure timely processing of your Certificates of Origin:
- Make sure you are filling out the proper Certificates of Origin for the Country to which you are exporting.
- Make sure you fill out the Certificate completely and accurately.
- Make sure that the product information listed is verbatim to what is on the invoice. Do not leave out product numbers, quantities or descriptions.
- Do not alter the Certificate in any way.
- You must have the Certificate notarized before having the GVCC sign and stamp it.
- Do not wait until the day of your shipment to bring in your Certificates.
Information & Forms: