JOB ANNOUNCEMENT – (HR34 FY19)
Job Title: Kitchen Coordinator FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Hours: M-F, 30hrs/wk Reports to: Luepke Center Manager
Location: Luepke Center (Vancouver, WA.) Pay Rate: $15.00/hour
Meals on Wheels People
Meals on Wheels People enriches the lives of seniors and assists them in maintaining independence by providing nutritious food, human connections and social support. With the help of more than 5,500 volunteers, our nonprofit organization serves over 5,700 meals daily and more than 1.3 million meals each year across Multnomah, Washington, and Clark Counties. Meals on Wheels People is an EEO employer committed to the inclusion of people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, women and people living with disabilities in our workplace and programs.
Responsible for oversight of all activities in the kitchen. Maintain high kitchen standards in sanitation and safety. Recruit, train and supervise kitchen and dining room volunteers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Receive, hold, prepare and serve foods delivered by Meals on Wheels People Central Kitchen in accordance with Meals on Wheels People regulations
- Work with Center Manager to order food and food service supplies for the center
- Provide management and oversight of meal preparation, including scratch cooking, ethnic meal preparation, and service for the Meals on Wheels program and senior dining
- Manage and maintain adequate levels of food and non-food items, ensuring product is safe, secure and properly stored.
- Establish a positive, welcoming atmosphere for all participants and volunteers.
- Assist Center Manager as necessary
- Participate in in-service training and attend required meetings
- Have knowledge of and participate with Meals on Wheels People annual agency wide events and fundraising initiatives
- Support the mission, goals and objectives of Meals on Wheels People, Inc.
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Knowledge
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required; Associate Degree or certification in Culinary Arts preferred
- Current Food Handler’s card or ability to obtain one upon hire
- Demonstrated knowledge of food service standards
Skills, Abilities & Experience
- Minimum one-year experience in food service; volume and scratch cooking preferred
- Basic computer skills.
- Bilingual/Bicultural English/Spanish, Vietnamese, Russian or Asian language strongly preferred
- Ability to work with and manage volunteers
- Experience working with diverse client populations, including aging, minority and low-income populations
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proven recordkeeping and organizational skills
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs and 20-30lbs repetitively
Any satisfactory combination of experience, training and/or education which ensures the ability to perform the work may substitute for the above qualifications.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Fast paced kitchen environment, with significant people interaction. Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs and 20-30lbs repetitively. Frequent reaching, bending, stooping and grasping. Frequent use of knives and cooking utensils, stove, oven and other kitchen equipment. Must pass pre-employment screening.
Please apply online at https://www.mowp.org/our-story/careers/