Position Title: Member Services, Retention and Communications Specialist
Date: May 2018
This position is responsible for interacting with existing GVCC members to retain their membership status within our network and to support the organization’s communication efforts to members. Additionally, this position serves as the primary connector between new programming and the membership and is the primary point of contact for members with questions/inquiries on Chamber services, groups, business advocacy, and overall membership benefits available to them; and leads the retention strategy of Southwest Washington’s largest business network.
Major Duties and Accountabilities:
- Plan, implement and maintain a quality retention strategy for the Chamber. In this effort the incumbent is largely focused on internal communications of our business-to-business network, serving as a connector between members and programs/events. Retention plan elements include strategies around a number of points-of-contact with members such as, invoice mailings, retention phone calls, operating the Chamber’s Mentor Program, which is a member-to-member counseling network and being present at all GVCC events to interface with members. In this effort the incumbent uses knowledge of the community and listens for indications that members are in need of support or may be considering dropping their membership following up with them to support their needs.
- Maintains the member database (currently Chamber Master) by assuring member profiles and contact information are up to date. Additionally, the incumbent proactively contacts members who have little or no activity to get them re-engaged. Administrative support is provided to members of the GVCC team as needed by way of crafting letters of response, scheduling of appointments and making meeting preparations as requested.
- Actively assists with the communication to members with a mind toward member retention through the distribution of the weekly member emails, the creation of flyers and communication pieces for various programs and events, social media posts as well as developing content for the weekly eNewsletter.
- Supports the programming of the GVCC by assisting with set up, check in and clean up at all events. In this effort the incumbent is available for the preparation, logistics, hauling and clean-up of Chamber events including but not limited to the signature events, Leads & Needs, Business After Hours and Ribbon Cuttings as planned by the Events Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required.
Skills & Abilities
- Proficient with MS Office 2000 Suite including Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Experience with and understanding of database management systems.
- Strong written and verbal communication; ability to write routine reports and correspondence; ability to speak effectively before groups of members or employees of the chamber.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Understanding of and experience with Chambers of Commerce.
- Ability to work independently as well as be an integral part of a high-functioning team.
- Demonstrate an eagerness to learn’ seek out and assume responsibility.
- Display a “can do” approach to work.
- Experience in B2B networks or related membership-based organizations, preferred.
- Four-year degree; studies in business and/or communications or a related field, preferred.
- Experience in an organizational communications setting, with hands-on experience in business development, or membership-based organizations, preferred.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator, preferred.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Cash handling experience desirable.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.